Autonomous vehicles: driverless cars
Description of the subject
- Autonomous vehicles or driverless cars don’t have human drivers to control the operations. These vehicles safely operate automatically.
- These cars combine the software and sensors to navigate, drive and control the vehicle.
- A driverless car can guide them without any human conduction.
- The driverless vehicle becomes the concrete reality and it may pave the way for the future systems at which computers take at the art of the driving.
- Self-driving cars have a variety of the sensors for perceiving the surroundings like lidar, radar, odometry, inertial measurements units and a GPS system. The control system interprets the sensory information for determining the exact navigation paths.
- Autonomous vehicles rely on the actuators, sensors, machine learning system, powerful processors and complex algorithms to execute the software.
- The Radar sensors monitor the position of vehicles and video cameras use to detect the traffic lights, track and road signs.
Business leading development
- There are many research companies and organizations that developed the working prototype driverless vehicles.
- These driverless cars are making more growth opportunities for the business.
- The car companies like BMW, Tesla and Volvo are leading in business development.
- Autonomous vehicles now become a complex part of the socio-technical consideration and interact with different factors in the accepted manner (Müller & Risto, 2016).
- Due to the huge amount of prices for autonomous vehicles, there are fewer customers who use these driverless cars.
- It will take more 12 years to start the autonomous vehicles and then they will be sold to the customers.
- Driverless cars are safe and it reduces the crashes and also prevents live from death or injuries (Memon & Ahmed, 2016).
- Autonomous vehicles are not subjected to human limitations.
- These vehicles are helpful for those who can’t drive due to old age, physical disability or diseases and it eliminates the car collisions.
- There are issues of a quantity of the data in the real-time as 1 car use 4000 Gb in a day.
- It has the hacking issues and also has ethical issues in the software algorithms.
- Self-driving cars have advanced GPS system and miles of the training data, ranging systems and light section technology that can make the system efficient and safe.
New items/new developments
- The new development of 3D mapping will be introduced for these autonomous vehicles.
- Advance technology of V2X by 3GPP.
Memon, Q., & Ahmed, M. (2016). Self-driving and driver relaxing vehicle. IEEE.
Müller, L., & Risto, M. (2016). The social behavior of autonomous vehicles.